So I’ve spent a couple nights in my new apartment. Here is what I’ve learned thus far.
- Both Trader Joe’s and the bank are within walking distance. I hate walking anywhere, but I think it will become part of my regular routine.
- Buying beer without knowing if you have a bottle opener is dumb. When you are without a bottle opener, you will desperately try anything that has a remote chance of working, from oven racks to pliers.
- If you buy only a bottle opener and a Toblerone, the cashier at Trader Joe’s will give you funny looks.
- Trader Joe’s has it’s own beer they call Trader Jose. I have a 6-pack in my fridge now because I was curious. Has anyone else tried this?
- There are about a dozen visible access points viewable from my apartment. Two are open without any security. The other ten I think I can crack within a week. I will try later.
- Both Michelle and I are okay with having wine and beer in the apartment but no food as long as we have Internet.
- The drive to my office is an additional ten minutes, but I think I can do some alternate routes to cut it back down to my normal commute.
More life lessons to come. Man it’s been a long time since I’ve lived out of my parents’ place.
If you’ve read Michelle’s post you already know. Yup! I’ve moved out of my parents’ house before thirty! We’ve nailed down a place to live, right next to Downtown Culver City. I can now go to happy hour any time I want and stagger home. There’s a down side to this. All this going out costs money.
Life without all the responsibilities of adults is what we wanted to start with, so we decided to rent. While rent is significantly cheaper than the chunk of mortgage I was paying on my parents’ place (nice way to dodge some taxes), I am having a minor freak out about money right now.
Michelle is probably annoyed with me questioning everything we are spending. Do we really need brand new furniture? There’s plenty of good stuff on Craigslist that might not have bodily fluids on it. Do we have to do laundry again? Turn your underwear inside out and backwards at least once before washing it. Dinner? We ate yesterday!
Still, even though it’s an apartment I’d like our place to feel like our first home. That’s why we will be decorating like this.
It’s like having porcelain dolls all over the house but a lot less creepy.
Nothing says good morning like Emperor Palpatine and Darth Maul side by side.